New York Daily News reports that a fire broke out at the shop which is located on Broadway near Belvidere St. in Bushwick at 12:28 p.m. Although the fire left the shop seriously damaged with a pile of charred debris on the sidewalk, the Jesus statue was left unscathed.
“God is good. He was here today. Everything in here is material, but your life is more important. It could have been worse. We were cleaning the floors, and I went out for a few minutes, and then there was smoke, and then fire broke out. It happened so quick. Thank God someone came in. She didn’t realize there was smoke. She was in shock, ” said 56-year-old Evelyn Arroyo who works in the shop.
Arroyo said she’s grateful for the actions of the firefighters. “I pray for them and their families,” she said.