Nigerians are a great people and they have a funny way of naming things and people. They have a name for everything under the sun. For example, they call motorcycles, Okada.
They are very good at giving nicknames to things andeven humans. The nicknames they give to people are usually as a result of something, maybe an event.Most of the time, these nicknames eventually replacethe real names.Most Nigerian governors have already been given nicknames and below are some of the funny names they are being addressed as.
1. Akinwumi Ambode: He is the governor of Lagos state and has been nicknamed ‘Quilox’, which is one of Nigeria’s most celebrated nightclubs. He was given this name because he’s said to frequently patronize the expensive nightclub. This came to the limelight after someone spotted him at the popular nightclub sometime in 2015 after he was sworn in as governor.
2. Rauf Aregbesola: He is the governor of Osun state and is mostly referred to as ‘Ogbeni’. He took up the title of Ogbeni, the Yoruba word for mister in 2010. Heis also fondly called ‘Baba Kabiru’ owing to the fact that his first child is named Kabiru.
3. Ayodele Fayose: The governor of Ekiti state is mostly referred to as the ‘Stomach Infrastructure’governor because he believes in feeding his people and is always sharing food items. He is the most controversial governor. Fayose made the term, stomach infrastructure popular in Nigeria’s political dictionary.
4. Abiola Ajimobi:The governor of Oyo state is called‘Eji’because of his gap-tooth. The word ‘EJi’ is the Yoruba translation of gap-tooth.
5. Rochas Okorocha:Some Igbos call the Imo state governo ‘Okoro Hausa’ because they are of the opinion that he has given himself to Hausa Fulani as an instrument of destruction against the restoration of Biafra and for the total islamization of Biafra land.
6. Ifeanyi Okowa:The Delta state governor is referredto as‘Opolo Eye’by some people. This is because he has big eye balls. “Opolo” is the Yoruba translation for toad.
7. Mallam Nasir El Rufai:The Kaduna state governor is referred to as‘Mai Rusau’ and ‘Hell-Rufai’which means The Demolisher. This is because of his actions when he was Nigeria’s FCT Minister and there were so many demolitions in Abuja and likewisein Kaduna where he is the current state governor.
8. Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi:The governor of Enugu state got the name‘Cry Cry Baby’,following his shedding of tears when hevisited Ukpabi, Nimbo, in Uzo-Uwani local government area of the state after they were attacked by Fulani herdsmen.
9. Abdulfatah Ahmed:the Kwara state governor is called‘Omoodo Saraki’(Saraki’s House Boy).
10. Abdullahi Ganduje:The governor of Kano state is referred to by residents of the state as‘Mijin Hajiya’ and ‘Me Barci’.Mijin Hajiya because of his wife’s influence on him or Me barci because he frequently sleeps in public functions.
11. Rotimi Amaechi:The former Rivers state governor was given the name ‘Lion of Ubima’ following his fallout with ex-president Goodluck Jonathan and the Peoples Democratic Party. Some also referred to him as the ‘Judas of Ubima’ for betraying Jonathan and teaming up with the ruling AllProgressives Congress.
12. Adebayo Alao-Akala:The former governor of Oyo state was called the‘Bleaching governor’during his tenure because of his obvious light skinned complexion.
13. Asiwaju Bola Tinubu: The former governor of Lagos state is better known as ‘Jagaban’, a title which has gained prominence, especially among his numerous followers and political allies.